“One of the finest goldfields in the world” was predicted by Robert Austin, who in 1854, lead the first Colonial Expedition through what would become the Shire of Mount Magnet in the Murchison GeoRegion.
Gold was discovered here in 1891 (before Coolgardie, Cue and Kalgoorlie) and the first mine, Mt Magnet Gold Mine was operating by the end of that year. Gold mining has continued for 130 years, with Hill 50 GM its most famous mine. Open cut mining began in the early 1980’s, the mine pits and dumps (earth relocated from the pits) transforming the landscape.
For more insights. visit the Mining and Pastoral Museum (entry through the Visitor Centre) including the Hill 50 Winder and State Battery ten head stampers, both relocated by the Mount Magnet Historical Society. “Drawn to Mt Magnet” (available from the Visitor Centre) provides a wealth of historical information, data and stories.